Student & Long Term Car Rental
Cape Town is in the process of building up its transport infrastructure but this will still take several years. The transport systems in place are not always reliable and safe to use, especially at night. The best way to become independent in Cape Town is to rent or buy a car. We have several Car rental companies specializing in long-term car rentals as well as short term. This is ideal for Internship students and other foreign students who are spending several months in Cape Town. We have personally met with all these Car Rental companies and can recommend them to you. To avoid disappointment and problems please make use of the car rental companies on our page below. They have been in the industry for several years and have built up a good reputation.
Please book well in advance during the high season! high season Sept - Feb
Long Term & Student Car rental Companies in Cape Town
Penny K´s Car Hire
ULF Car Rental
Around About Cars
Betta Car Hire
Acker Car Rental
Positive side to Car Rental
- You have fewer worries
- If the car breaks down you can get it replaced
- You could share the rental between two drivers
Limitations to car rentals
- Distance you travel from Cape Town is limited depending on your contract
- Deposits are not always given back to clients
- Renting a car can become expensive over a long period, I.e. 4 months and more.
Car rental guidelines
- Book in advance! During the summer season (October-May) Car rental companies are fully booked.
- Make sure the car is in Roadworthy condition.
- Read the contract agreement carefully and do not be afraid to ask questions.
- Keep a copy of the signed contract.
- Know the insurance excess amount (the amount you have to pay in the event of an accident) on the insurance.
- Do not become liable for any mechanical or electrical damages (if the engine breaks you should not get charged)
- Your car should be replaced free-of-charge if it breaks down.
- Before you get into the car take pictures and make sure they are dated. This will help prevent any problems from the company.
- If you hire old cars make sure they work. Breaking down in and around Cape Town can be dangerous especially at night.Renting the cheapest cars might not be the safes option in the end.
- Some clients have problems getting deposits back so try to stick to reputable car rental agents!
Long term car rental prices
- R2900-R3800 a month
- R130-R200 a day
- Price depends on:
- How long you rent for
- How old the car is
- The condition of car
- The company you choose
Frequently Ask Question:
- Can I rent a car if I am under 21 years old?
- Yes you can, please check companies listed.
- Can I rent a car without having a credit Card?
- Yes, you can but companies offering that service are limited.